Distributed Canada, Toronto
We strive to be the data management layer of the decentralized web. We believe that making data user-centric and easy to work with gives people the opportunity to free their genius and create tools that change the world, unlocking the true potential of Web3. Source is a suite of new technologies that work together to make data interoperable. We’re empowering developers to make apps and devices that talk to each other, to allow users to truly own their data, and to secure information cryptographically to ensure trust.
Minimum expected salary: $125,000 CAD + equity
Shape the future of Web3
Decentralized applications are a fast-growing market expected to reach $368B+ by 2027 and Source is pioneering the foundational technologies to help it get there and go beyond. Source is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps people use every day. We are building the future of data management and are the first database provider to receive backing from Dwight Merriman the founder of MongoDB, the predominant cloud database and a global roster of Web3 investors. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
About the Role
Our database, DefraDB, empowers developers to build edge and decentralized projects to scale fast, survive anything, and thrive everywhere while ensuring their users’ data privacy. We are looking for backend software engineers who are excited about growing an open-source NoSQL database to join our database teams. Working closely with our CTO and co-founders, you will be part of a collaborative culture striving to make user-centric data interoperable across Web3.
You'll be working on
- Contribute to the growth of the open-source database, DefraDB. You bring your expertise and commitment to excellence to help build a database that makes data easy for everyone.
- Improve the performance of DefraDB.
- Ensure that DefraDB remains scalable, survivable, and consistent as we continue to grow as a company.
You're most likely to succeed in this role if you
- A passion for working on complex technical products and have exposure to topics such as distributed/decentralized systems, concurrency control, data replication, file systems, or NoSQL processing.
- Have substantial, demonstrable experience writing high-quality software in Rust
- Prior experience and knowledge with WebAssembly toolchain
- Ability to understand and implement cryptographic primitives
- Have deep knowledge of the Rust ecosystem, especially with regard to database applications
- Have participated in Open Source software development and/or communities
- Can make pragmatic design tradeoffs, balancing features, maintainability, and delivery time
- An understanding of system design.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- 5+ years of relevant experience.
Success in this role means
In the first month, you will join your engineering team and start to learn about our production systems, software development workflow, and the architecture of DefraDB and complementary technologies. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology, company, and our culture.
As our team grows you will have the opportunity to not only shape the direction of development for DefraDB but work alongside the founders to shape the future of the project and Source ecosystem as a whole. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using our product and you play a crucial role in making DefraDB a joy to use. We also offer technical training and experienced mentorship to help you learn and grow into whatever you wish it to be.